What is a cookie?
A is a harmless text file that is stored in your browser when you visit almost any web page. The usefulness of the is that the website is able to remember your visit when you return to browse that page. Although many people do not know have been used for 20 years, when the first browsers for the World Wide Web appeared.
What is NOT a cookie?
It is not a virus, or a Trojan, or a worm, or spam, or spyware, or open windows pop-up.
What information does a store?
usually do not store sensitive information about you, such as credit cards or bank details, photographs, your ID or personal information, etc. The data they keep are of a technical nature, personal preferences, personalization of contents, etc.
The web server does not associate you as a person, but your web browser. In fact, if you regularly browse Internet Explorer and try to navigate through the same website with Firefox or Chrome you will see that the web does not realize that you are the same person because it is really associating the browser, not the person.
What kind of are there?
- Technical : These are the most basic and allow, among other things, to know when a human or an automated application is browsing, when an anonymous and registered user navigates, basic tasks for the operation of any dynamic web.
- Analysis : They collect information about the type of navigation you are doing, the sections you use most, products consulted, time zone of use, language, etc.
- Advertising : Display advertising based on your browsing, country of origin, language, etc.
What are own and third party ?
are those generated by the page you are visiting and those are those generated by external services or providers such as Facebook, Twitter, Google, etc.
What happens if I disable ?
To understand the scope that can have disable we show some examples:
- You can not share content from that website on Facebook, Twitter or any other social network.
- The website will not be able to adapt the contents to their personal preferences, as is often the case in online stores.
- You can not access the personal area of that website, such as , or or .
- Online stores: It will be impossible to make purchases online, they will have to be telephone or visiting the physical store if you have it.
- It will not be possible to customize your geographic preferences as time zone, currency or language.
- The website will not be able to perform web analytics on visitors and traffic on the web, which will make it difficult for the website to be competitive.
- You can not write on the blog, you can not upload photos, post comments, rate or rate content. The web will not be able to know if you are a human or an automated application that publishes .
- It will not be possible to show sectorized advertising, which will reduce the advertising revenue of the web.
- All social networks use , if you disable them you can not use any social network.
Can be deleted?
Yes. Not only delete, also block, in a general or particular way for a specific domain.
To remove from a website you must go to the configuration of your browser and there you can search the associated to the domain in question and proceed to its removal.
Setting for the most popular browsers
Here’s how to access a specific from the Chrome browser. Note: these steps may vary depending on the browser version:
- Go to Settings or Preferences through the File menu or by clicking on the personalization icon that appears at the top right.
- You will see different sections, click the option .
- Go to , .
- Select .
- A list with all the ordered by domain will appear. To make it easier to find the of a specific domain, enter the address partially or completely in the field.
- After making this filter, one or several lines with the of the requested web appear on the screen. Now you just have to select it and press the to proceed with its elimination.
To access the settings of the Internet Explorer browser follow these steps (may vary depending on the version of the browser):
- Go to ,
- Click on .
- Move the slider to adjust the level of privacy you want.
To access the settings of the Firefox browser follow these steps (may vary depending on the browser version):
- Go to or according to your operating system.
- Click on .
- In choose .
- Now you will see the option , you can activate or deactivate it according to your preferences.
To access the configuration of the Safari browser for OSX follow these steps (may vary depending on the version of the browser):
- Go to , then .
- In this place you will see the option so that you can adjust the type of blocking you wish to perform.
To access the configuration of the Safari browser for iOS follow these steps (may vary depending on the browser version):
- Go to , then .
- Go to , you will see the option to adjust the type of block you want to make.
To access the browser settings for Android devices follow these steps (may vary depending on the browser version):
- Run the browser and press the key, then .
- Go to , you will see the option to activate or deactivate the box.
To access the browser settings for Windows Phone devices follow these steps (may vary depending on the browser version):
- Open , then , then
- Now you can activate or deactivate the box.